Saturday, August 28, 2010

Crab Cakes

Last night Brooklyn and I made crab cakes and had so much fun. She is quite the helper in the kitchen(her outfit was her 'comfy clothes' and was horrified that I took pictures once she remembered what she was wearing! :) ) and the end product was yummy!
I had never made crab cakes before and came across this recipe from Paula Deen. I found it needed more consistency so we added more crackers than it called for and I added a tad tabasco sauce as well for some kick. I served it with a favorite sauce of Brooklyn and mine, a cajun remoulade, and Tony had tarter sauce and a little tabasco on his. We all thought they were keepers and so easy!!

~Recipe~
1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells. **We used claw meat, next time I will try lump meat to see if there is a difference, I did ask the man at the fish counter and he said either would be fine**
1/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers **We ended up using almost 1 cup after we added a little then mixed and added and mixed...**
3 green onions, both the green and white parts, finely chopped
1/2 cup green or red bell pepper **we used green this time**
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper **this is where I added a dash or 2 of tabasco sauce as well**
1/2 lemon juiced **I added a bit more**
Flour for dusting
Peanut oil
Favorite dipping sauce for serving

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with the flour.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over meduim heat. WHen oil is hot carefully place carb cakes, in batches, and fry until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes over and fry on the other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm!! YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment