Monday, September 5, 2011

Apple Pie Bars

I stumbled across this recipe while browsing  my favorite cooking sites.  I cannot for the life of me remember where I found it.  I printed it right away and did not save...I apologize to the person that posted this YUMMI-LICIOUS recipe! I make this for a dessert at a neighbors cook out.  It was a home run! I served it with caramel ice cream....Tony said that witht he glaze there was really no need for the ice cream.  My suggestion would be to either glaze it(then it can be a breakfast or dessert) or to not glaze and serve with caramel or vanilla bean ice cream.  Just a suggestion...I do not have a photo, but I will post it today when I make another pan for my family.
~Recipe~


1 cup Panko bread crumbs 
8 cups peeled, cored and sliced Granny Smith apples*I used 7 large* tossed with two TB fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar mixed with 1 to 2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg

2 TB butter

Egg wash
1 package refrigerated pie crust doughs (2 crusts) - can use homemade too *I used my favorite King Arthur pie crust*

Glaze:
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

2 to 3 TB milk


Preheat oven to 350°.
Divide pie crust dough into 2 pieces on a ratio of 6 to 4. Roll out the larger of the two pieces into a rectangle about 11" x 15". Place in a 9" x 13" cake pan. Push the pastry up the sides of the pan a bit to make a shallow container for the apples.
Spread the bread crumbs over the pastry.
Spread the apples over the bread crumbs and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and the nutmeg over the top. Cut the butter into small pieces and dot over the top.

Rol the remaining piece of pie dough into a 9" x 13" rectangle and cover the apples. Brush with egg wash.
Slash the crust 6 or 8 times to allow steam to escape. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes until crust is golden brown. * I only baked mine for 55 minutes*
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely while you prepare the glaze.
C
ombine the glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. It should be thick but pourable. Adjust the ingredients to achieve the consistency you need. Pour over pastry. Allow the icing to set before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment