Monday, September 26, 2011

Beef Taco Rice with Refried Beans

I threw this together last night as we had a lazy. at. home. Sunday.  It was nice...until I realized we had lazed the day away by the pool and it was dinner time! I have made it before and the kids really enjoyed it.  They enjoyed it so much that they dug into it and it was gone before I realized I did not have picture...so....you get the tortilla part of the taco! :)  I have a growing teen boy and if there is food that is not guarded....there is no. more. food.  When did this happen?

~Recipe~
4 cups water
1 cup chopped green pepper(all I had was red, so that is what I used)
1 c chopped onion(Brenn will not eat onions so I minced about 1/4 cup and threw that in)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp  pepper
1 pkg taco seasoning_divided
4 cups uncooked rice
2 small 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 lb hamburger(as you know I do  not use ground beef....I use ground turkey)
1 can refried beans
shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine 1st five ingredients and add 1/2 of that taco seasoning-boil- remove from heat. Add rice and stir and cover.  Let this stand for 5 minutes.  Stir in the tomato sauce.  Cook meat, drain and add remaining taco seasoning to the meat. Spray the 9x13 pan with cooking spray and layer 1/2 rice then spread the refried beans(I always warm these on the stove to make sure they will spread well), top with the meat then 1/2 cheese.  Finish with the rest of the rice and they rest of the cheese.  Bake 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.  I serve with tortillas, sour cream, avocados, chips, salsa and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment