Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spaghetti Carbonara

Huh....turns out my family doesn't like pancetta.  I was so excited to try this recipe.  I am always looking for new pasta dishes and this was not a keeper! Boo! I did not care for the overpowering flavor of the pancetta but I am not a bacon fan, so I thought Ant and Brenn would devour this....good thing I had a lot of sides with this dish.....
~Recipe~
1 pound spaghetti
8 ounces of pancetta diced
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 1/4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese
fresh ground salt and pepper

Cook pasta in salted water until al dente.

While the pasta is cooking cook the pancetta in a large skillet over med-high heat until crisp.  This took about 5 minutes, remove all but 1 tbsp of the fat.  Reserve 1/2-3/4 cup of the pasta water then drain the pasta and put it in the skillet with the pancetta.  Toss well to combine.  Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together in a large bowl.  Turn the heat off below the pan and add the eggs, yolks and 1 cup of the cheese.  Make sure you get it all stirred together.  Then add the pasta water until you get the sauce consistency you want.  I used most of the 3/4 cup of water.  Toss well and then add the rest of the cheese to the top and fresh ground pepper! I hope your family likes it more than my family did...win some lose some.....Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment