Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan

My daughter and I are huge fans of Eggplant Parm and I found this grilled version and had to try it.  It is healthier, I am sure but the grilling adds a new flavor that I am really fond of.  My hubs and son were not fond of this recipe at all. It is different and the texture is not the typical eggplant parm, but I loved it! The photo is terrible....I took it with my phone and it certainly doesn't do the yumminess any justice....
~Recipe~

3 medium eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp dried Italian herb mix
1 tsp coarse salt
fresh ground black pepper
5 cups of your favorite tomato sauce...I used marinara
8 ounces of provolone cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 whole basil leaves

Rub the eggplant slices with the olive oil and then garlic, Italian spice, salt and pepper.  Place in a cooking pan and let sit for 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Hat grill and grill eggplant slices until lightly grilled in both sides.  **This took quite a bit longer than I thought it would** Spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Place about 6 eggplant slices on top of the sauce, top with cheese and a few basil leaves.  Top with 1 1/2 cups sauce and repeat layering.  End with the 1 cup parm cheese in top.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Remove the cover and continue baking for 15 minuets.  Enjoy~



1 comment:

  1. My daughter & I are eggplant fans too! Gonna share your recipe with her and make it this week. Thanks Stacey!

    ReplyDelete