Monday, November 1, 2010

Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles

I found this when I was browsing the internet...as usual...but this caught my eye as we don't generally like casserole type dinners.  It looked good and so I thought, why not? It was a hit...although I would double the chicken and the beans and the cheese. The corn tortillas were kind of tough and I think I would at least fry them a little at first...but I will make it again. 


  • 1  cup  thinly sliced onion
  • 5  garlic cloves, minced**I think this was too  much and I love garlic**
  • 2  cups  shredded cooked chicken breast
  • 1  (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1   can salsa de chile fresco (such as El Paso)
  • 15  (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
  • 1  cup  shredded queso blanco 
  • Preheat oven to 450°
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside. Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment