Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dulce de leche bars

I was going through my recipes and wanted to try something different.  I had a a couple of cans of Dulce de Leche in the pantry so I thought I would try these.  They were just OK. Nothing really to go bananas over...well, we did have them with bananas and caramel sauce with vanilla bean ice cream.  The taste is a little too subtle for me, but they were OK.
~Recipe~
I stick of  unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup dulce de leche, store bought

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper so the inside is all covered and there is an edge you can use to life the bars out of the pan. Mix the sugars and room temp butter until fluffy. Stop and scrape sides when needed.  Add vanilla, flour, egg and baking soda and salt, gently mix. Spread 1/2 the batter in pan and bake 7-8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and smear the dulce de leche over the top and drop dollops of the rest of the batter on the leche. Swirl slightly and flatten with a rubber spatula.  Bake for 25-30.  Let cool before taking out of the pan...cut and eat.  Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment