Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicken Chimichangas

We L.O.V.E. Mexican food and Brenn has wanted me to tackle Chimichangas for a while now...so I did!! It is a time consuming recipe but HOLY GUACAMOLE it is good! I served them with guacamole and spanish rice and refried beans. I will definitely make these again but there are some changes I will make as well. I found this recipe in Food Network Magazine, a favorite magazine of mine....I recommend it if you are looking for a good cooking magazine!

~Recipe~
**This made 9 Chimichangas when I doubled it**
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds for less heat)**I roasted serrano peppers and used 1 without seeds**
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon**go light on the cinnamon, while it is good and pairs with the cumin well you can definitely taste it, maybe a bit too much**
Kosher salt
1 small tomato, chopped, plus more for topping**I only used for the topping not inside**
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro**I only used 1 Tbsp since Tony is not a cilantro fan, I am not sure I Will add it next time...or use dried**
2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/4 cup sour cream
1 15-ounce can refried beans
4 10-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, plus more for topping**I shredded 2 1/2 cups and had very little left over, we like cheese though and I left it out for them to add as they wanted while we were eating**
Shredded lettuce, for topping

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Melt the butter with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt; toast 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook until slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and sour cream and warm through. Remove from the heat.

Brush a rimmed baking sheet with some of the butter-oil mixture. Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in the ends and roll up.

Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8 to 10 minutes per side, brushing again after you flip. Top with the sauce, more cheese, lettuce and tomato. Serve with rice and left over beans. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment