Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chicken Empanadas

We LOVE Mexican food at the Mullins house! I have been searching for something to change the regular recipes up a bit...I came across this and knew I had to make them! Of course I changed, added and didn't add for our family but this definitely a 'keeper' recipe! I served them with Mexican Creama drizzled on them and then had refried beans, queso and salsa on the side. They take a while to put together but are well worth it! YUM!

~Recipe~
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken**I cooked the chicken in the morning so the lengthy part was out of the way and I shredded it**
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
4 ounces cream cheese, softened**I used 6 ounces...we like creamy cheese**
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper**I omitted for the kids**
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped**I used mild in the jar for mine....I will definitely use fresh next time**
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
Water
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine the chicken and next 7 ingredients. Unroll 1 piecrust onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15-inch circle. Cut out rounds, using a 3-inch cookie cutter. Re-roll dough as needed. Repeat procedure with remaining piecrusts, making 12 to 15 circles total. Arrange 1 round on a clean, flat surface. Lightly brush the edges of crust with water. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of the round. Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining rounds and chicken mixture. (Up to this point, the recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month). Arrange empanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment